Search Auto-Repair-Questions

Friday, February 08, 2008

Front Brakes

Question: I have a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville with a 3800 engine it has 62,000 miles on it. Three days ago I had my rotors turned and brake pads replaced on the front , rotors replaced on the rear. I noticed a major squeak or chirp in the brakes. When I pressed the brake the squeal or chirp would go away. Also when I turned to the right the noise would go away. If I drive straight or turn to the left it is a loud squeal or chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp. I also hear something rubbing at very low speeds. I called the shop that did the brake job and they said the new rotors needed to seat themselves and that I should drive it for awhile. I know I am single mom but I am not stupid, I know when something is wrong with my vehicle. What is your advice on what I should Do? Answer: The brake pads that were installed were most likely aftermarket pads; in other words, not from the original manufacturer of your car. As to the intermittent chirping sound, have the brake rotors checked to make sure that they are running true...that they were machined properly. And have the backing plates checked for any signs of rubbing. It is a common issue for the backing plates to unintentionally get slightly bent during a brake job. The baking plates are very thin pieces of sheet metal and bend easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment