Search Auto-Repair-Questions

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

1999 Jeep Grand Chreokee Air Conditioning

Question: My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the Air Conditioning compressor replaced in July '07. It worked OK for around 5 months. It Stopped engaging. I had the system recharged and had dye added at the same time. Drove it home about ten miles and it seemed OK. Did not run Jeep for two days. A couple days later I noticed the compressor wasn't engaging. Took it back for the UV light check for the dye. No leaks were found. They tell me that my evaporator core (under dash)is leaking. They can replace it for $750. The compressor doesn't engage but the system seems to have a charge (determined by pushing down the fill stem.) Does this sound right and could it be something else? Answer: Absolutely possible. The A/C system can still have pressure in it, and yet be too low to engage the compressor. The low-pressure cut-off switch will prevent compressor clutch engagement to protect the compressor in the event of a low refrigerant charge, and this condition is normal. The system can still contain some refrigerant (noticeable at the service ports), and will even seem to have a charge with only residual refrigerant (essentially, empty) when pushing down on the schrader valve at the service port. When checking the system with dye, it's often easy to verify the leak by shining the UV light on the HVAC case drain tube. Often times, though, nothing is evident at the drain, and you only notice the leak when the HVAC case is removed and the evaporator inspected (the evaporator is not visible without pulling the dash and HVAC case). I've pulled plenty of these apart, after the UV showed nothing visible *anywhere*, only to find out that the evaporator is green (with fluorescent dye).The cost seems a bit high, but in HVAC system repair, you often get what you pay for. $750, while expensive, is about normal for the dealer, and it's the hardest component to replace in the A/C system.

6 comments:

  1. I just had the same issue with my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The only difference is that the Jeep dealer wants $1800 to replace the evaporator. I'm located in Northern California. It sounds as though I'm getting ripped off. What part of the country is the Jeep dealer who only is charging $750. I believe the labor cost is $130 an hour at the shop here in Antioch, CA.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Plains, NY dealer just quoted $1,800.00 to replace evaporator core, am looking to do it myself on a 2001 Grand Cherokee. How hard can it be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The entire dash has to be removed, The ENTIRE thing. The A/C system has to be evacuated and the the entire airflow box has to be removed to gain access to the evaporator core. That is about average for your area on price at a dealer. A small shop might be able to do it for $1200.00 or so. It calls for almost 20 hrs labor!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem. I have talked to so many Jeep owners with this issue! Look around on a hot day,if you see a Jeep with the windows down, you know what is up. (I have a 99 cherokee)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have replaced a heater core myself. A year later I was pulling the dash again to replace the evaporator coil. If I was taking my Grand Cherokee into the shop to replace the heater core or the evaporator coil I would have the shop replace both of them at the same time it will cost a little more but you will not be paying labor for pulling the dash again. Both the heater core and the evaporate go bad at the same rate and about the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the easiest way to change out an air conditioner pump on a 99 Chrysler?

    ReplyDelete