Search Auto-Repair-Questions

Monday, March 24, 2008

No power at fuel pump

Question: I replaced fuel pump on 01 Chevy s-10 4.3 checked relay and fuses still get no power, have any idea how to fix this ? Answer: Lets start withe the "ECM B" Fuse (the most common cause) It is in the under hood fuse block, it is a 20 amp fuse. Make certain the fuse is good and have battery voltage on both side with the key on. If the fuse is OK, move to the next step. Now you need to see battery voltage at the orge wire of the relay and at the dark green/ whte wire. and you should see ground at the blk wire. When you turn the key on you should also see battery voltage at the gray wire ... if you do not, the relay is bad. If you do, then you need to check for power at the fuel pump.. if you do not have power at the pump on the gray wire still, then you will need to repair the wiring/ replace the wire. Make sure you have a good ground on the black wire coming from the pump. That is all there is to the circuit. If you do not see power to the drk green wire, you need to check the plug at the ecm( computer ) if it is OK along with the wire, you will need to replace the computer.

14 comments:

  1. what was the outcome with this? I am having the same problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. new pump went in and the male connector bent up.
    CHECK YOUR WORK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 2001 gmc Savana van.... 5.7 v8 won't.... I was driving for about 20 minutes....parked the vehicle,.. Came back and tried to start and it just never started.... There's not any power going to the fuel pump... That's why I replaced it... I checked all the fuses and all seem well... I need help.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 03 F350 with 6.0 and just replaced the fuel pump and have no power to the pump. I have jump wire on the pump and to the battery so that I can get it moved. Have checked all fuses and still nothing, any ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fords have an inertia switch(fuel pump shut off). It is usually located in the passengerside kick panel or just under the dash toward the top of the floor mat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2001 s10 4.3 .
    After buying and installing a new fuel pump I realized that I didn't have any power to fuel pump. My problem was one of the two black ground wires at the back drivers side under the bed next to spare tire on frame rail. . check that before buying and installing a new pump.


    THANKS ....STEAMIN BEEMAN

    ReplyDelete
  7. well sure as heck he was right it was the ground in the back of the frame driver side that is used for your lights. im sure that was my problem the whole time. i recomend trying that before droping $500 into possible problems like i did

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 96 dodge ram checked fuses and replaced pump and no power. Any ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a 1999 dodge durango. I have no power to the fuel pump. What could this be and what should I check

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a ground problem was well. Installed a new pump because the old one was actually failing and neither the new or old would work. It was not showing voltage to hot wire made sure ground was connected but it didn't have a good seat to the frame. Ground off all the junk and everything was good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no power to fuel pump. Put in new fuel pump,checked relays,fuse no power.Cleaned ground on frame by spare tire and the power came on. Unreal. I paid 60.00 dollars for it at PRIME AUTO PARTS. It works great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh i for got say its a 2001 sonoma 4.3 high rider.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have 03 suburban 5.3 flex fuel. i installed a new pump cuz the old one was failing. then the new pump wouldnt turn on. i put in a second thinkn it was the pump cuz everyting was fine before, still the pump wont come on. the pump relay is good, i switched it with another to check. any help please, this causing probkems with my old lady, she has no believe in me.. please somebody help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a Honda Accord 2005 model since I bought this car I have never enjoyed it as I experience a hard start and I have replaced the fuel pump still experience same please what’s the solution to this

    ReplyDelete